Low Carb Zucchini Taco Boats
I like Taco Tuesday just as much as the next person, but I don't always want the tortillas. And while I could absolutely make a taco salad, I prefer warm, cozy dishes in the fall and winter.
This recipe can be made with any kind of squash - spaghetti squash or butternut squash especially - but the zucchini has just enough subtle flavoring to not overpower the taco spices.
As much as I love using ground beef, I had ground turkey in the freezer and I knew that it would be a great low fat option for tacos. Tacos are versatile and can be made to order, so if there are dairy allergies, gluten intolerances, or just picky tastebuds at the table, you can easily make substitutions or adjustments.
Because I was making this with kids in mind, I kept the spice level to a minimum, but if you want a bit more heat, add a thai chili or jalepeño in with the turkey while it cooks.
2 Zucchini, sliced vertically & hollowed out
1 lb ground turkey
1 Yellow Onion
Mexican blend cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400-degrees
2. In a sauteé pan, brown the ground turkey. Drain any grease and add Tajin seasoning to taste. Once cooked, add in onion and cook until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Line up hollowed out zucchini in a casserole dish and fill with cooked turkey. Top with Mexican-blend shredded cheese.
4. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.
5. Top with sour cream, avocado, and tomatoes and serve while warm.
It really is that easy. For the kids, I modified it just a bit and served the zucchini separately from the turkey.
#recipeshare #weeknightmeal #dinner #kidapproved #momapproved #easydinner #frommykitchen #homemade #tacotuesday