Honey Butter Buns
I am a sucker for good bread and good buns for burgers. So when we decided to have turkey burgers for dinner one night, I decided I would try my hand at baking buns. Not known for my baking skills, I knew that it would have to be something simple and easy.
After scrolling through endless pages of Pinterest, I finally found a recipe that seemed simple enough for a beginner baker. Getting creative, I tweaked the recipe a bit and added honey and BOY OH BOY am I glad I did - the buns are soft and sweet and turned out great! Exactly what we needed for huge juicy burgers.
INGREDIENTS (makes 6-8 buns)
1 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tbsp honey
2 1/2 salt
1 1/4 cup warm water
4 1/4 cups bread flour
1. In mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup warm water and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes or until a slight foam has formed.
2. Combine butter, honey, salt, and remaining warm water to mixing bowl. Mix gently.
3. Slowly begin to add in flour. Mix until a sticky dough ball has formed.
4. On a slightly floured surface, knead dough until soft. Form into ball. Coat with a thin layer of EVOO and place back in mixing bowl. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
5. After 1 hour, remove dough from bowl and cut into quarters. Cut each quarter in half and form into ball. The dough is forgiving so if the balls aren't perfect, that's okay. Let sit for 45 minutes.
6. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees, or until brown crust has formed.
Let cool and enjoy! We topped our turkey burgers with tomato, provolone, and spicy ranch sauce for a delicious, melt-in-your-mouth meal.